Sunday, December 28, 2008

Eels

It's hard to take the anguish of bands like Simple Plan and Evanescence seriously when there are bands out there like Eels.

Maybe 90% of their songs are about loss, alienation and mental illness (or some combination thereof). Band frontman Mark Oliver Everett (a man called E) has seen or experienced the effects of all three. It shows. There's no whining or complaining in his songs, just a terrible, wistful sadness. Some songs have an edge of anger (a few songs on Souljacker express this, like Bus Stop Boxer or Dog Faced Boy) or even optimism and affection (PS You Rock My World).

I don't know anything about music. I did terribly in Foundations of Music (I should've taken another programming class). I can't really describe their tunes beyond "I like them." I'll just have to stick to praising the lyrics.

From Susan's House:

Here comes a girl with long brown hair
Who can't be more than 17
She sucks on a red popsicle
While she pushes a baby girl in a pink carriage
And I'm thinking that must be her sister
That must be her sister, right?

[...]

Goin' over to Susan's house
I can't be alone tonight

The speaker describes what he sees in very literal, but vivid imagery. His only description of his emotional state is in his repitition of "I can't be alone tonight."

From Grace Kelly Blues, which is possibly the saddest song I've ever heard:

The tractor-trailer driver radios:
Help me someone I'm out here all alone
Truck driving the black night away
Praying for the light of day

The kid in the mall works at hot dog on a stick
His hat is a funny shape his heart is a brick
Taking your order he will look away
He doesn't have a thing to say

I would quote Daisies of the Galaxy, but I don't think I can condense it. That song always makes me think of a boy who doesn't spend much time at home and a friend who doesn't know how to help him.

It's the same way with Goin' To Your Funeral pt 1 and Things the Grandchildren Should Know, except I can't offer any explanation for those songs that the lyrics don't give.

Basically, the songs of Eels are usually full of quiet, understated despair. The lyrics can't be appreciated until you listen to the song. E has this way of singing that's so sincere and emotionally raw. The lyrics aren't just a story he's telling. It's like he's baring his soul. That's why the Eels are my favorite band.

No comments: